Aloe vera is one of the popular herbal plants and it is widely used for its medical values. It is generally a safe herb to use on humans but caution should be taken, as this plant has caused certain side effects in some users.
When we talk about aloe vera side effects, it is very important to know these facts:
1. Excessive dosage and prolonged use is the most common reason for its side effects.
2. Always remember, any poor quality of Aloe vera will lead to unpredicted effects and this should not be confused with the side effects of Aloe vera, so make sure you buy the best Aloe vera without additives or preservatives.
3. Do not confuse the normal actions of Aloe vera with the side effects when you have just started to use Aloe vera. Aloe vera when taken as supplementary has caused gut pain just after use in some people but prolonged use after a week has diminished the pain.
4. Side effects might have caused by the substances added to Aloe vera to make final product such as lanolin or parabens in Aloe vera cream.
SIDE EFFECTS OF ALOE VERA:
1. Aloe vera is well known for its laxative effect. Intake of Aloe vera orally as supplements may cause diarrhea and abdominal cramps. Prolonged intake of Aloe vera may lead to addiction and sudden withdrawal of Aloe vera may cause constipation.
2. Diarrhea caused by aloe vera will likely reduce the absorption of many drugs.
3. Allergic reaction is the most common side effect of Aloe vera. Topical usage of Aloe vera is less likely to cause allergic reaction but oral intake may cause itching, skin rash in some. In worst cases it may cause facial swelling and breathing trouble
4. Aloe vera itself reduces blood glucose level, so diabetic patients who take medications for diabetes should be careful when using Aloe vera as this may produce a combined effect. It is also to be noted that prolonged use of Aloe vera may lead to Hepatitis. People with thyroid problems should also consult doctor before taking Aloe vera.
5. Prolonged use of Aloe vera might lead to loss of potassium, hematuria, albuminuria and fluid imbalance. Loss of potassium leads to muscle weakness and irregular heart beat in many people. So patients with heart and kidney problems should avoid taking Aloe vera.
6. Aloe vera should never be injected, Aloe vera injections called T-UP which was used to treat cancer has caused death in some patients.
7. Prolonged use of Aloe vera might cause electrolyte imbalance, dehydration and reddish urine. In some people it has caused kidney damage and blood build-up in the pelvis. So always follow the dosage amount required.
ALOE VERA SHOULD BE AVOIDED IN FOLLOWING CASES:
1. During pregnancy or considering to become pregnant.
2. During breast feeding.
3. Unsafe for children less than 12 years.
4. Patients with intestinal conditions such as Crohn’s disease, ulcerative colitis, or obstruction.
5. Hemorrhoids patients.
6. Patients with kidney problems, appendicitis and abdominal pain.
7. Heart patients on antiarrhythmic drugs.
8. People on drugs like steroids, licorice or diuretics.
9. Before and after surgery as Aloe interferes with blood glucose level.
10. Do not take Aloe when you take drugs like stimulant laxatives, diuretics, warfarin, drugs which decrease clotting of blood and anti-diabetic drugs.
Many people use Aloe vera and get benefited. The side effects mentioned in this section are based on certain studies and medical case reports. It is safer to use Aloe vera after consulting your physician. If you undergo any of these side effects, discontinue the usage and consult your physician immediately.
If you find this article on Aloe vera side effects useful, please spread the word.
Relevant search terms:
- ivory aloe vera soap side affects
- allergic reaction to aloe and licorice
- the side effects of continuous use of aloe vera
- side effect of aloe vera warning
- does aloe vera cause diarrhea